Every woman should make time for herself and prioritize her health and well-being. This can be as simple as exercising, having a regular sleep schedule, and having a balanced diet. There are some crucial extra steps every woman should take when they are able. These include specific doctor’s appointments at certain ages to make sure that everything is functioning properly. According to Everyday Health, some important check-ups include:
- Pap Smears- This can be done when a woman turns 21 and every three years following the first Pap smear. These can be done at a local OB-GYN and are used to monitor any abnormal cells in the cervix that could lead to cervical cancer.
- Mammograms- A woman can start having these done when they are 45 years old or 50 years old and every two years following the first screening, unless otherwise requested and discussed with the doctor. This is also done with an OB-GYN and are used to check for breast cancer.
- Blood Pressure Screening- Beginning at 20 years old, one should begin to have their blood pressure checked at least once every two years, or more often if one is overweight. This can help make sure that one is safe from conditions like hypertension and high blood pressure.
- Colon Cancer Screening- These can be done when a woman turns 50 years old and at a local doctor’s office or hospital. Unless there is a problem, these appointments can be held every 5 years.
- Skin examination- There is no age limit for this one and a woman should conduct monthly examinations of her skin. She can look for new moles, moles that have changed color and/or shape, and any other odd spots on her skin. One should consult with their dermatologist if they would like an in-office exam but monthly home-exams are a good way to detect a possible problem early.
There are many more examinations and screenings that should be conducted on a regular basis but do not forget to consult with a doctor or physician on a regular basis to ensure that everything is functioning as it should be. They are also more than happy to answer any questions one may have and provide reliable referrals and advice.